What happens when you combine the principals of STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and math), unopened cans and boxes of food and creative and dedicated teachers and students who want to help their community? You have an event called Canstruction. The Midland County Emergency Food Pantry Network (EFPN), Midland Schools and the Midland Mall are joining together to host a Canstruction event. Teams of students will use their STEAM skills to construct sculptures of food.
- Build date is Friday, February 21 at the Midland Mall starting at 8:00 AM.
- Technical Awards will be announced at 2:30 PM on February 21 at center area in front of former Yonkers store.
- Structures on display February 21 thru 12:00 PM Saturday, February 29.
- Vote for your favorite structure from February 21 till mall closes on Friday, February 28.
Tickets are $1.00 and can be purchased at a table located in the Mall Food Court
- People ‘s Choice Award will be announced on February 29 at 12:00 PM at center area in front of former Yonkers store.
You are invited to come and watch as students defy logic and gravity as they build structures out of cans and boxes of food. All food used in these structures will come back to EFPN to help feed your neighbors in need. This event is part competition, part food drive, and a whole lot of fun. We are grateful to many local businesses who have helped to fund the food that the students will be using. Come to the Midland Mall and enjoy the structures, vote for your favorite and support the efforts of the students as they show how we can tackle hunger and make a difference one CAN at a time.